30 September 2007

40 Miles for Michelle

Not quite the 50 miles I was shooting for before the day began, but it was very, very fulfilling to even reach 40.

Before I get started I just wanted to thank everyone for their kind words on my previous post. Also, many of these people don't read my blog, but a huge thanks (with a big hug attached) to those whose online donations helped support the event. Some of these donations were from people I've never met and to me this is amazing. You all rock! I hope everyone understands how much your thoughts and support mean to me.

As I mentioned on my previous post, I was not treating this Relay for Life event as a race. My goal was to honor the memory of my Aunt Michelle with an act of life that resembled the passion she lived with. Although my 50 mile goal turned out to be allusive, I am confident that the 40 miles I did cover accomplished what I set out to do, and then some.

The opening ceremony was highlighted by a very moving ten or fifteen minutes when all cancer survivors in the crowd were asked to come on stage to introduce themselves and briefly describe their story.

"My name is Karen. I was diagnosed with breast cancer six years ago when I was 51. Right now my body is free of cancer."

"Donald. Prostate cancer ten years ago. All clear."

"Suzie. Diagnosed with Hodgkin's two years ago when I was 19. Still alive and loving every minute of it."

"Rebecca. 48 years old. Have battled three different cancers. It keeps fighting, but I'm not going to let it beat me!"

These survivors are truly an inspiration. After they all introduced themselves the Relay kicked off with a lap by the survivors led by a local bagpiper. When those bagpipes filled with air and the music squeezed out of it in the sad way it does, it seemed no one could help but think about those who weren't with us anymore.

I was excited about the turnout for the event. There were a lot of people out and with music blaring and people bouncing around the track it was a party atmosphere. I ran when I could and spent a lot of time walking laps with my friends and teammates who signed up for hour long blocks to walk throughout the night. The spots I had alone I tried to run as much as I could. My goal was to reach 30 miles by midnight, which would give me eight hours to cover the final twenty.

When the sun went down the music and lights were shut off for the luminaria ceremony. This was pretty neat. Lined around the entire track were white paper bags submitted by participants or community members with the names of loved ones passed on or loved ones currently battling cancer. These bags were filled with candles (well, glow sticks actually, the Pullman Fire Department wouldn't allow candles...). Then all the names on the bags were read over the loudspeaker. It probably took nearly thirty minutes to read all the names. To me, this was the highlight of the event. On one hand, it was comforting to know that no one affected by cancer is alone. People want to help each other. On the other hand, it was incredibly sobering to get a glimpse at just how awful and far reaching this disease is. It affects may too many of us.

When Michelle's name was read over the loudspeaker I knew that I was the only one in the stadium who recognized it. At that moment I realized that it didn't matter how many miles I was going to run. Her name, her memory, not forgetting. This is the point, right? I felt that just by getting her name read off was a victory.

Her name still resonates in the air - her memory in physical form.

I did reach 30 miles by midnight. That was about the time that I realized my 50 mile goal was not going to happen. I feel guilty talking about the physical pain I was going through in an event honoring the memory of those who have passed away and who would give anything to feel the pain I was feeling. So I'll just say that I wanted to push myself physically in the celebration of the life Michelle was so passionate about. I did this. And covering those 10 miles in the last eight hours, though it may not seem like much, was something I'm proud of. The evening was a success.

Thank you all again! And thanks to all my teammates who helped out!


Co-worker and assistant team captain Rachel
helping set up tent and bake sale table


Jeanie's grandmother


Walking the track with friends


Nice turnout


Going in circles all night was probably
more difficult than I anticipated

Night shift

25 comments:

  1. That was a really great thing you did! I'm pretty sure 40 miles is just as good as 50 miles to your aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott, you are amazing. One of my hopes for my children was that they would grow up to be good, decent human beings. That the world would be glad you were born. That you would make the world a better place because you are part of it. All of you have become wonderful, amazing people and I love you for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I will keep you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job Scott! 40 miles is probably a whole lot more than I could have accomplished! Your aunt would be proud of yoU!

    ReplyDelete
  5. congratulations! what an awesome tribute and experience!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scott,
    An awesome tribute. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an amazing thing...

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is so cool that you did this. It is humbling to realize that the pain we endure as runners pales in comparison. I'm sure your Aunt was smiling today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an amazing thing it is!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WHOOO HOOO!!! You rock homie!! Whether it was 20 miles or 50 miles it doesn't matter. You did a wonderful thing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simply splendid. You rock, my friend :-) There is no greater honor...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Scott what a truly amazing and heart-rendering report. I can feel your emotion in your words...I'm so impressed with what you accomplished...your aunt is so very proud of you!!!!

    So are we of your cyber-running world too....

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a very remarkable tribute and she sounded like a vivacious person.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 40 miles is pretty dang far, and like you said, it accomplished the same thing as 50. What a wonderful tribute to your aunt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice job with those 40 miles. Running in those wee hours when all your body wants to do is go to sleep it the toughest part of those events. I'm lining up a ton of tricks to get me through the midnight to sunrise stretch for my 24-hour race. I just hope it's enough.

    Very cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh your mom's comment has me crying! so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job! I think that some of my best runs have come when I was running "for" a cause or someone. It somehow brings out an inner strength that otherwise would not be there. I think there is a strong physical/psychological connection when I'm running that in those moments when the run isn't about me, I find myself with such raw emotions and a sense that truly this life is about being part of a greater whole. I get a sense of euphoria and sadness for those who can't do it themselves.
    Great job! Our world needs more people like you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Although my four children are 11, 9, 7 and 1, I can relate to your mother's comment. I hope the same for my children. My 9 year old's claim to fame for two years now is staying up the entire 18 hours, walking most of it. Last year, he pushed people around the track in a wheelchair for donations. This year, I heard people on the track call him "the cookie boy" as he sold cookies out of a paper box lid to raise funds in honor of his 19yr old cousin who, so far, has beat Ewings sarcoma. I'm very proud of him and you. Great job Scott!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i think this is a fabulous post- 40 miles in the spirit that you did them in is worth so much more than 50- or 100.
    it was nice to know when i was on my ride in the rain that i knew someone else who was doing something the day before and into the morning for the same cause. i know that feeling of hearing a name and realizing it matters only to you, but that it represents so much more.
    plus, your mom is so proud of you. :) i have the same hopes for kellen that she had for her kids- glad to know that it is possible. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aweseome effort Scott, you're the one that rocks dude.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very touching. You hit a certain point in life when too many people you know are touched by cancer...This was a very nice accomplishment. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh this is so touching. You truly are an amazing person, as Mom was hoping for. Congrats Mom on razing a great kid.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well done, Scott! I hope we can meet up this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my gosh that was so amazing. I am really touched.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just read your mom's comment. Holy cow what a beautiful comment she left. I would print that off. :>)

    ReplyDelete